Highway Accident Claims
If you have been injured in an accident in a public place call our Personal Injury Team for a free consultation to claim compensation on 01754 897150 or start your claim online and we will call you.
Highways are if significant benefit to the public. They include motorways, roads, footpaths, cycle paths and even verges. It is estimated that there are approximately 30,000 miles of main roads and 140,000 miles of footpaths and rights of way in the England & Wales alone.
A highway is normally maintained by either the local authority or highway agency using public money. The Highways Act 1980 introduced a legal responsibility upon such authorities to ensure the safety of the public. In particular they are required to ensure:
- They have a reasonable system of inspection in place
- They have a reasonable and sensible maintenance programme in place
- They carry out repairs to any defect or hazard that is dangerous
Unfortunately, the economic reality is that most local authorities claim that they do not have the funds to invest and repair our roads and footpaths allowing dangerous potholes and defects to develop and putting motorists, pedestrians and cyclists at risk to injury.
Statistics reveal that the most common accidents that occur on our highways include:
- Tripping over potholes and rocking paving slabs
- Poor maintenance of road markings causing collisions between users of the highway
- Poor surface maintenance causing skidding and loss of friction
- Ice on the roads and pathways
- Defective utility apparatus such as missing or damaged water meter covers
- Defective design of the highway
Highway accidents can have serious consequences. If you have been injured whilst using a highway that was not your fault we can help you make a claim.
Our Accident Team has over 38 years of experience dealing with claims for compensation for victims of accidents occurring on a highway ranging from minor injuries which can be dealt with as part of the Ministry of Justice Portal Scheme to serious injuries including brain injuries, amputation injuries, spinal injuries and fatal injuries requiring specialist legal and medical knowledge.
98% of our clients who have participated in our client survey rated our personal injury claims service as excellent and would recommend us to others.
To find out more call our Personal Injury Team on 01754 897150 or start your claim online.